(a) "bullying" means overt, unwanted, repeated acts or gestures, including verbal or written communications or images transmitted in any manner (including digitally or electronically), physical acts committed, aggression, or any other behaviors, that are committed by a student or group of students against another student with the intent to harass, ridicule, humiliate, intimidate, or harm the targeted student and create for the targeted student an objectively hostile school environment that:
(1) places the targeted student in reasonable fear of harm to the targeted student's person or property;
(2) has a substantially detrimental effect on the targeted student's physical or mental health;
(3) has the effect of substantially interfering with the targeted student's academic performance; or
(4) has the effect of substantially interfering with the targeted student's ability to participate in or benefit from the
services, activities, and privileges provided by the school.
(b) The term may not be interpreted to impose any burden or sanction on, or include in the definition of the term, the following:
(1) Participating in a religious event.
(2) Acting in an emergency involving the protection of a person or property from an imminent threat of
serious bodily injury or substantial danger.
(3) Participating in an activity consisting of the exercise of a student's rights protected under the First
Amendment to the United States Constitution or Article I, Section 31 of the Constitution of the State of
Indiana, or both.
(4) Participating in an activity conducted by a nonprofit or governmental entity that provides recreation,
education, training, or other care under the supervision of one (1) or more adults.
(5) Participating in an activity undertaken at the prior written direction of the student's parent.
(6) Engaging in interstate or international travel from a location outside Indiana to another location outside
As added by P.L.106-2005, SEC.6. Amended by P.L.285-2013, SEC.5.